• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 3/4 cup diced carrots
• 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
• 3 cups vegetable stock
• salt and ground black pepper to taste
• ground nutmeg to taste
• 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
1. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
2. Mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
3. In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot, and stir in the heavy cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.